There are a fair few newborn baby essentials you need when having a baby, ready for when you get home from the hospital with your newborn baby, we’ve listed them here.
Here are the newborn essentials that you’re going to need when you come home from the hospital with your little bundle of joy. You can join the website as a baby level member and then print off the list to make sure you don’t miss anything.
You can read our main article Preparing for a baby: all you need to know. It is a series of articles and links to the others, such as What do I need to pack I a hospital bag and other useful articles.
Most of the items are pretty
You no longer need to ask ‘What do I need to buy for a baby before it arrives?‘ because here is the full list for you.
Newborn essentials: Clothing
- 7 x Babygro’s
- 7 x Sleep-suits
- 5 x Socks or booties
- 2 x Scratch mitts – When babies are born, there nails can be long, these stop them from scratching themselves.
- 2 x Baby hats or bonnets
- At least 1 sweater (more if your baby is born in winter)
- 2 x Snowsuits (if your baby is born in winter)
- 7 x Muslins – Probably the most essential item on the list, muslins are so versatile, great for protecting you when feeding and cleaning things up and lots more.
- 4 x Bibs
Newborn essentials: Other baby items
- 1 or 2 x Pack of nappies – Read our article about baby nappies cost
- 1 x Multipack of nappy bags
- 1 x Multipack of wet wipes
- Nappy/ Rash cream
- Baby nail clippers
- Top and tail bowl – A useful multi-section bowl for cleaning up after they’ve done
- Baby bath
- 3 x Soft flannels
- 2 x baby towels with hoods
- Baby lotion
- Baby shampoo
- Baby bouncer
- Baby paracetamol
- Baby VapoRub
Newborn essentials: For when you’re out and about
- Pram/ pushchair – Read our article about choosing and buying the right pushchair for you and your baby.
- Carrycot (optional)
- Car seat
- Baby Bag. and contents;
- Wet wipes
- 4 nappies
- Nappy bags
- 2 muslins
- Change of clothes (top) for you)
- 2 baby grows
- A toy or 2
Newborn essentials: Feeding
- 3-4 bottles
- 2 x Brushes to wash bottles
- Bottle sterilizer (you can also boil the bottles)
Newborn essentials: If you will be breastfeeding
- 2-3 nursing bras
- 7-8 breast pads
- Breastfeeding Pillow
- Breast pump (manual or electric) – Trust us an electric one is worth the spend!
- 4+ feeding/storage bottles (if you will express and store milk)
Newborn essentials: If you will be Bottle feeding
- Formula milk
Newborn essentials: For your nursery
- Cot/ Moses basket with mattress
- Mattress protector – You may want to get 2, you can then put one over the main protector and sheet and another sheet on top of that, then if there is an accident in the night you can just pull the top layer off and you don’t need to worry about replacing them in the middle of the night.
- Changing table & mat
- 4 x Fitted crib sheets
- 2 x Baby blanket
- Snowsuits (optional)
- Baby monitor
- Chest of drawers (for storage)
- Install blackout blind
Print off the newborn essentials checklist
Think we’ve missed something off our list? let us know in the comments and we’ll add it.